The Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciência considers the PhD an opportunity for young scientists to learn how to become independent researchers.
The Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciência has been running innovative PhD programmes for more than 25 years, structured to offer students the best conditions to pursue research on original questions in the biological sciences.
Prior to choosing a laboratory or research topic, students go through an initial academic semester that explores the most recent scientific advances on a broad range of topics in a very active way, promoting independent and critical thinking. At the end of the semester, students develop a research proposal for their thesis and find one or more group leaders to supervise their doctoral work.
Our community includes student from other programmes such as:
- PhD Programme Biology at the Host Microbe Interface
- Emerald – International PhD Programme for Medical Doctors
- PhD Programme Plants for Life
- MolBioS – PhD Program in Molecular Biosciences
- Graduate Program in Areas of Basic and Applied Biology