António Coutinho Science Awards
In honour of Professor António Coutinho, former director of Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciência (IGC) who has acted as a national science driver fostering its international projection, the IGC in partnership with Fundação Merck(FM), science and technology company, and Município de Oeiras (MO), created an annual programme in his name which includes two fellowships and an award.
Focusing on cooperation and on scientific research development and qualification, António Coutinho Science Awards programme aims to:
- grant two research fellowships to Portuguese Speaking African Countries (PALOP) citizens or descendants from PALOP countries, in order to develop scientific research;
- grant a research award, recognizing innovative and strategically relevant projects developed by PALOP scientists, which also foster international collaboration and continuous knowledge update and promote technology transfer.
- create opportunities for students and doctorate teachers or researchers in life sciences, health sciences or exact sciences, in order for them to continue broadening their horizons and promoting their scientific careers;
- ensure diversity in the scientific community, by boosting research paths of excellence and enabling the emergence of new solutions to the problems of mankind.
* Angola, Cape Verde, Guinea-Bissau, Equatorial Guinea, Mozambique, São Tomé and Príncipe.
In 2019 António Coutinho Science Awards were conferred to Adija Fernando Wilssone (MSc) and António Pinto Almeida (PhD), and in 2020 to Mónica Medina Lopes (MSc), Majaliwa Nashoni (MSc) and Lucas Miguel (PhD) .
More information on applications to António Coutinho Science Awards’ third edition and on past editions available in Portuguese.
Applications for the Third Edition are open until 15th May.
More information available in Portuguese.