IGC PhD Student Life
The IGC is an exciting, vibrant environment for graduate students. Graduate students and postdocs are the engine of social life at the institute; they organize parties, barbecues, cinema sessions, wine tastings and a range of activities (including their own yearly retreat). Lisbon is culturally rich and diverse, showcasing exhibitions and concerts at the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation or various music festivals (some of which the IGC participates in, for example NOS Alive Music Festival).
The AmeeGuS Retreat
Every year the whole student community has a scientific retreat called AMeeGus , a acronym based on Annual Meeting of Gulbenkian Students, that sounds almost like Portuguese word for “Friends”. The AMeeGuS is organised by 1st year students at the end of their lectures.
Courses and activities
As a student at IGC you will have access to:
- Courses organized by other IGC Facilities, such as Animal Handling, Bioimaging, Flow Cytometry, Genomics, etc…
- Courses organized by Human Resources and Advanced Training Unit, such as Scientific Writing, Visual Communication and Career Development.
- Depending on your lab: Data clubs, Journal Clubs, Lab Meetings and Lab Retreats.
- Possibility to apply for internal funding to organize the IGC Symposium
- Weekly seminars from IGC researchers, external invited speakers and the Wednesday Seminar series organized by the Postdoc Committee where students and Postdocs may present their preliminary results and the Career Talks and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Seminars.
Nova Doctoral School Courses are available for all PhD Students of programmes whose degree is conferred by ITQB NOVA, such as IBB. These courses provide basics foundations in Ethics, Science Communication, Project Management, Social Media and Data Management.
Students registered at ITQB, have access to the Startup Research Nova at a reduced fee, a Post-Graduation programme built collaboratively by scientists and entrepreneurs from ITQB NOVA and NOVA SBE.
Learning Portuguese: our foreign students have access to beginner or advanced level Portuguese classes.
Ombudsperson, Psychological and Medical Offices: these offices are available to all the students.