The research group, led by Jocelyne Demengeot, is concerned with those properties of the immune system that guarantee tissue integrity as well as tolerance to commensals and food antigens while maintaining the ability to mount efficient responses to infectious agents and some tumours. Rooted in this thematic is also the biological puzzle of phenotypic heterogeneity, the challenge of personalised medicine.
The research group approach the cellular and molecular bases of immune regulation through the analysis of various mouse models, notably of spontaneous or induced autoimmune and immuno-pathological inflammation.
Closer to the clinic, they interrogate the biological basis of the most extreme manifestations in autoimmune diseases and of the variable efficacy of immunotherapies.
Targets and off targets of recombination activating genes
The adaptive immune system of the jawed vertebrates emerged about 500 million years ago.
Immune regulation for Immunotherapies
A subset of T cells, expressing the transcription factor Foxp3, dampens immune responses in an antigen specific manner.
- Bergman, M.L., Lopes-Carvalho, T., Martins, A.C., Grieco, F.A., Eizirik, D.L., Demengeot, J. (2017) Tolerogenic insulin peptide therapy precipitates type 1 diabetes. J Exp Med. 214(7) : 2153-2156
- Passagem-Santos, D., Bonnet, M., Sobral, D., Trancoso, I., Silva, J.G., Barreto, V.M., Athanasiadis, A., Demengeot, J., Pereira-Leal, J.B. (2016) RAG Recombinase as a Selective Pressure for Genome Evolution. Genome Biol Evol. 8(11) : 3364-3376
- Barroso-Batista, J., Demengeot, J., Gordo, I. (2015) Adaptive immunity increases the pace and predictability of evolutionary change in commensal gut bacteria. Nat Commun. 30(6) : 8945
- Garcês, S., Antunes, M., Benito-Garcia, E., da Silva, J.C., Aarden, L., Demengeot, J. (2014) A preliminary algorithm introducing immunogenicity assessment in the management of patients with RA receiving tumour necrosis factor inhibitor therapiesAnn Rheum Dis. 73(6) : 1138-43
- Paiva, R.S., Lino, A.C., Bergman, M.L., Caramalho, I., Sousa, A.E., Zelenay, S., Demengeot, J. (2013) Recent thymic emigrants are the preferential precursors of regulatory T cells differentiated in the periphery Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110(16) : 6494-9
- Lino, A.C., Mohr, E., Demengeot, J. (2013) Naturally secreted immunoglobulins limit B1 and MZ B-cell numbers through a microbiota-independent mechanismBlood 122(2) : 209-18
- Zelenay, S., Bergman, M.L., Paiva, R.S., Lino, A.C., Martins, A.C., Duarte, J.H., Moraes-Fontes, M.F., Bilate, A.M., Lafaille, J.J., Demengeot, J. (2010) Intrathymic differentiation of adaptive Foxp3+ regulatory T cells upon peripheral proinflammatory immunization Cutting Edge-Journal of Immunology 185 : 3829-33
- Duarte, J.H., Zelenay, S., Bergman, M.L., Martins, A.C., Demengeot, J. (2009) Natural Treg cells spontaneously differentiate into pathogenic helper cells in lymphopenic conditions Eur J Immunol 39(4) : 948-55
- Zelenay, S., Lopes-Carvalho, T., Caramalho, I., Moraes-Fontes, M. F., Rebelo, M.l, Demengeot, J. (2005) Foxp3+ CD25- CD4 T cells constitute a reservoir of committed regulatory cells that regain CD25 expression upon homeostatic expansionProc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102 : 4091-4096
- Caramalho, I., Carvalho, T., Ostler, D., Zelenay, S., Haury, M., Demengeot, J.(2003) Regulatory T cells selectively express Toll Like Receptors and are activated by Lipopolysaccharide J Exp Med. 197 : 403-411
- 17 jun 2020
Jocelyne Demengeot, Principal Investigator
PhD in Molecular & Cell Biology, Université d'Aix-Marseille II, France
Phone: +351 214 407 908
E-mail: [email protected]