Evaluation and learning reports
- The Civic Role of Arts Organisations Learning Report: From Inquiry to Movement explores the impact of the programme since 2016 and makes observations on the current state and needs of this field of practice.
- What Happens Next? Inquiry into the Civic Role of Arts Organisations, Phase 2 sets out priorities to embed ‘the civic’ into arts organisations, arts funding and arts policy.
- Rethinking Relationships: Inquiry into the Civic Role of Arts Organisations, Phase 1 summarises findings, mapping how arts organisations in the UK are playing a civic role.
- What Would Joan Littlewood Say?, a collection of essays and interviews with 10 arts and culture leaders on why they feel it is crucial to play a civic role.
- A Restless Art? How Participation Won, and Why It Matters, François Matarasso provides a snapshot of innovative practice from around the world and sets out an argument for the value of participatory and community art.
Tools and resources
- PACT exercise book, a guidebook for arts sector leaders seeking to tackle racism and learn about equitable distribution of power.
- Unlock, an interactive online system that allows organisations and individuals to chart and track their own actions on creating anti-racist change.
- ReVision, an online skills development programme for leadership teams at civic and cultural organisations on ‘revisioning’ in times of crisis.
- Can I Live?, a digital arts production exploring the art-climate intersection and providing a source of inspiration for cultural leaders.
- Shortlisted organisations for Award for Civic Arts Organisations (first edition; second edition; third edition). Stories providing examples of how the arts sector is addressing the needs of communities and increasing access to culture, written by postgraduate students at King’s College London.
- 80 international case studies profiling best civic arts practice from around the world, resulting from the Inquiry.
- Creative Civic Change. Case studies and learning reports from an experimental funding programme that supported 15 hyper-local community-led projects across England, using culture to enrich lives and the community.
- The Arts in Schools: Foundations for the Future. Report and recommendations to improve arts education in 2023 and beyond, reimagining England’s current system and providing practical advice for the sector and policy makers.
- The Pulse of the Movement: Civic Arts Organisations in 2021. Report analysing applications for the Award for Civic Arts Organisations and what they tell us about the growing movement of civic arts organisations in the UK.
- Culture-led Regeneration: Achieving Inclusive and Sustainable Growth. 15 case studies revealing the benefits when arts and culture are at the heart of local activity.
- Evaluation of, and Learning from, Prosper Business Support Project. Insight for cultural leaders to improve resilience, commercial capacity and investment readiness.
- Leading the Way: On HEY100 and a Radical New Path for Leadership Development in the Social Sector. Leadership recommendations from a place-based programme focused on leading through times of increased demand and decreased resources.