LocationAtrium Gulbenkian Art Library
This documentary exhibition consists of a selection of sound recordings of concerts featuring Xenakis works and lectures given by him, photographs of courses and events in which he took part, correspondence exchanged with the Gulbenkian Foundation’s Music Department and with its first directors, Madalena de Azeredo Perdigão (1923-1989) and Luís Pereira Leal, programmes and posters from seasons and performances and press cuttings. The exhibition also presents some facsimiles of documents belonging to the family of Iannis Xenakis
In addition to showing the relationship between the composer and the Gulbenkian Foundation, this exhibition also illustrates the type of support the institution provided early on for the creation and dissemination of contemporary music: direct commissions of musical works, support for Festivals and other entities responsible for commissions, or even the presentation of contemporary musical works in its programming.
The Gulbenkian Foundation is also presented another exhibition, co-produced with Philharmonie de Paris, which features the architectures of sound that Iannis Xenakis created over the course of his career.