Santa Gertrudes Park
Topographic Blueprint of Lisbon, by Silva Pinto, 1905-1909 (9K and 9L).
In this topographic blueprintby Silva Pinto, published in 1909, the changes made by José Maria Eugénio de Almeida to the former Quinta do Provedor can be seen.
– the existence of the trapezoidal shape already evident in the Quinta do Provedor;
– the definition of the northern boundary by the Rêgo trench;
– the four entrances of the park are referenced: one to the south, in front of the palace, in the symmetry axis defined by the U-shaped blueprint that the building presents; another with access to the stables; another to Rua de Palhavã; and another to Rego.
– the definition of an axis that structures the garden design and connects the park with the architecture of the S. Sebastião Palace;
– the creation of a network of curvilinear secondary paths with different hierarchies that define an irregular mesh directed towards the lake;
– the presence, near the lake, of a lookout lookout that finishes the main axis;
– the creation of an irregularly shaped lake, the heart of the project, punctuated by a tiny island and fed by a small stream;
The construction of the Santa Gertrudes Park took place between 1866 and 1870.
In these three years, Jacob Weiss designed the paths and prepared the lands for the planting of:
– 200 strong shittah trees, three years old;
– 100 strong Judas trees;
– 100 barberries, for tufts;
– 100 diverse honeysuckles;
– 50 cotoneasters for tuffs;
– 100 deutzia scabra for tuffs;
– 200 strong ashes;
– 50 hollies;
– 50 jasmines;
– 100 conker trees;
– 100 hazels;
– 200 very strong elms;
– 100 plane trees;
– 100 Japanese pagoda trees;
– 100 diverse prostrate knotweed;
– 100 diverse lilacs;
– 100 camaril, comoril (?);
– 100 eraénes du japon;
– 100 Cedar of Lebanon;
– 100 Genévrier of Virginia;
– 15 Abies pinsapo;
– 12 Golden hinoke cypress;
– 12 Atlas cedar;
– 18 deodar cedar;
– 12 giant sequoia.
These trees and shrubs were acquired from Horticulture Cordier – Pepinieriste à Berney (Eure) – in France and arrived at S. Sebastião da Pedreira on January 8, 1867.
To this plant list were added lily-of-the-valley-trees, wild citrinas and brooms and plants from Campo Grande, Lumiar, Queluz, Belas, and Assumar (86 Shittah trees). Strawberry trees and lily-of-the-valley-trees [ii] arrived from Sintra.
Planting took place throughout 1867 and part of 1868.
[ii] Fonte: Cfr. A. Carapinha 2005 pp. 22.23. Nota pagamento das Despesa das plantas e condução 91381$ réis com data de 27 de janeiro assinada por Jacob Weiss, ABEA Cota : caixa 31, mç.3,loc.2. , Évora