Grants and Scholarships
Grants are provided to support projects related to our five-year plan and scholarships are awarded to university students and researchers in five specific categories.
The Armenian Communities Department of the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation has revamped its university scholarship programme. The Programme will focus on four principal categories, putting further emphasis on Armenian Studies internationally. The four categories are:
1. Armenian Studies Scholarship
2. Undergraduate Studies Scholarship (for less developed countries)
3. Short Term Grant for Armenian Studies
4. Short Term Conference and Travel Grants to Students and Young Academics in Armenia.
In addition, the Department will continue supporting Armenian university students studying in Portugal and provide emergency or special circumstances scholarships to students facing extraordinary situations. These applications are considered on an ad hoc basis.
In order to help applicants plan better their financial resources, and enhance transparency further, the Department has decided to fix grant amounts for three of its major scholarship categories (see “Requirements, criteria and conditions” of the scholarships).
Note that the “Global Excellence” scholarship category is being phased out. Current awardees will continue receiving their scholarships as per grants already awarded, but new applications are not being accepted.Apply for scholarships
Projects submitted should fall within the scope of our four priority areas:
- Promote the preservation of the Armenian language and culture, and the development of the diaspora by linking its different parts and by investing in education;
- Develop a viable Armenia through investing in its youth and their commitment to civil society;
- Improve Armenian-Turkish relations by sponsoring projects that encourage a common understanding of their long shared history;
- Preserve and make available the Armenian literary heritage.
Awarded amounts are variable and depend on the project and its needs. Project Grants are open to all applicants, regardless of nationality or country of implementation.
Visit our projects page to learn more about some of the projects we have supported.
Please note our Five Year Plan will change during the current year. We will inform candidates accordingly.Apply for project grants
Creative Culture Program in Lebanon
The purpose of the Creative Culture Program in Lebanon is to foster the emergence of the practice of cultural creation in Western Armenian by giving opportunities and strengthening the means to create, produce, and distribute diverse cultural productions and achievements in Western Armenian.
This call for proposals is open to creative individuals who are from 18 to 35 years old, who currently reside in Lebanon, and who are interested in creating innovative content in Western Armenian, within the framework of eligible activities that address the core components of this grant program. The grant program will accept individual as well as group submissions.Apply For Creative Culture Program
Serviço das Comunidades Arménias
Avenida de Berna, 45-A
Tel: +351 217 823 658
Working hours: 9:00 to 13:00 and from 14:30 to 17:30 GMT