Blueprint of the city of Lisbon – Places that had space conditions to install the Foundation
First approach to possible locations for the headquarters and museum of the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation designed by Keil do Amaral and submitted to the Delegate Committee.
The spaces under evaluation are:
– a vacant lot in Campo Grande;
– a space to be released by the transfer of the former Matadouro de Lisboa;
– an area near the Hotel Aviz;
– a plot of Quartel da Artilharia Um, in Eduardo VII Park;
– the Vilalva Park.
It is not known whether this last one was suggested by Guimarães Lobato but we know that on September 1, Adolfo Bravo, Vasco Vilalva’s lawyer, sent a card to Azeredo Perdigão presenting the Santa Gertrudes Park as a possible purchase. A document dated January 13, 1957 and signed by Guimarães Lobato, entitled Memorandum on the Location of Headquarters Facilities and Museum of the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation, reduces to three the number of hypotheses previously presented.
In order to consult the original version of this document you should contact the Gulbenkian Archives by e-mail [email protected] and refer the document´s ID