Santa Gertrudes Park – Aerial View
It was important to keep the tree cover of the Santa Gertrudes Park, according to the landscape architects Azevedo Coutinho and Gonçalo Ribeiro Telles, as it was the basis of the planting of the future garden. This recognition was translated into the safeguard measures that preceded the beginning of the work.
The plan guidelines (concentration and location of the building, preservation of the trees to the south) led to the construction of the whole built in a transitional space between the densely–wooded area and the area that bordered Avenida de Berna. This area was more featureless, due to the adverse effects of the 1941 cyclone that devastated the country, as well as to the installation of the exhibition and eating areas of the Popular Fair.
The guidelines for works to be carried out in the park, transmitted to the landscape architects, were the need to proceed with the “restoration” of the planting and the landscaping of the Park..
In order to consult the original version of this document you should contact the Gulbenkian Archives by e-mail [email protected] and refer the document´s ID