The building project was commissioned to the German architect Hermann (1875-1945), who finished it in 1938, with the construction taking place between 1944 and 1952.
With capacity for 1.457 beds HSM is the “twin brother” of Hospital de São João, in Oporto, designed by the same architect and opened in 1959.
Photos with history
Many memories can arise when viewing the photographs from the studios of Mário and Horácio Novais
Find out more
who recorded the daily life, the architecture and works for advertising.