History of acquisitions and donations
The Modern Collection was officially constituted in 1983 but includes works of art acquired by the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation since 1958. The first annual report, published in 1957, refers to the creation of a specific fund for the acquisition of up to twelve works of art per year. The first acquisitions of works by 20th-century artists were made in January 1958, following the First Exhibition of Fine Arts held at the National Society of Fine Arts (SNBA – Sociedade Nacional de Belas Artes) in Lisbon.
Officially established in 1983, the Modern Collection comprises works of art acquired by the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation since its creation, in the 1950s.
In effect since 2016, the Museum's new acquisitions policy aims to create strategies for the constitution of a more diverse and more representative collection.